Sunday, August 27, 2006

Margarine is making me depressed

A recent study, published in the Journal of Lipid Research, found that a lack of omega-6 fatty acids -- theorized to contribute to depression -- might be caused in part by a surfeit of omega-3 fatty acids, found in meat, eggs, poultry, cereals, breads, baked goods, vegetable oils, and my favorite, margarine. Apparently consuming too many omega-3's can block your omega-6's.

When I used to take Seroquel, a medication used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, I had to stop drinking grapefruit juice because the juice interferes with breakdown of the drug, effectively potentiating the medication's effects. Patients taking a class of antidepressants called MAOIs can't consume red wine, aged cheese and a host of other foods.

So I'm used to the idea that having a disorder might limit what I can eat or drink. But margarine, if not exactly wholesome, always seemed so harmless. I know it sometimes has trans fats, which increase bad cholesterol and decrease good cholesterol. But I never thought that margarine could be hazardous to my mental health.

I love to slather Shedd's Spread on a big pile of vegetables -- brussels sprouts, peas, broccoli -- and call it dinner. Now I'm wondering if I have to limit my margarine intake in order to defeat my depression.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment