Thursday, August 24, 2006

More insurance woes

I just spent $5,076.00 to buy health insurance through my school's insurance program. And that won't cover all of my expenses. I only get $750.00 to spend on mental health care; with my psychiatrist at $160.00 a session, that will evaporate quickly. I also only get $750.00 for prescriptions, which won't cover a full year's worth of my medications. And two of them are branded medications -- not cheap.

I went to an independent insurance agent to see if his plan was any better. It would cost me about $300.00 a month -- and $3,600.00 is less than $5,076.00. It also has a long-term prescription plan that would cover my medication. But here's the catch: there's a $2,000.00 deductible for my out-of-network doctor visits. That means I'd have to spend $2,000.00 before I started seeing any reimbursements for my psychiatrist appointments.

I'm very frustrated. If I had diabetes, I wouldn't have to worry about how I would pay for my insulin. But because my disorder is "mental" -- and let me tell you, in every way depression is very much a PHYSICAL illness -- I don't enjoy the same level of coverage.

There are a lot of people working hard to ensure that mental health care is covered equitably with other kinds of health care needs. I shouldn't be shortchanged when a diabetic is fully covered.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment