Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dr. Jerk is intimidated by me

Why else would he make such an effort to put me down?

In a recent class, for some reason the topic of global warming came up. Dr. Jerk mentioned that the polar icecaps are melting and in the not so distant future, Manhattan could be in trouble.

"Wouldn't Staten Island sink first?" I asked. The class laughed. Not Dr. Jerk.

"It's an island -- it would be submerged, it wouldn't sink," he snapped.

Awkward pause, then he resumed teaching.

Now, I know he hates being interrupted. He doesn't encourage questions during class. But it was a joke, for cryin' out loud.

It sounded like he just had to prove he's smarter than I am. And why would he feel that need unless he felt intimidated by my challenges? I don't get it. He's a tenured professor who's published numerous research articles. How can a first-year student scare him so badly?

I think I'm going to talk to my faculty adviser. I need to know if my behavior is as incredibly inappropriate as Dr. Jerk seems to think it is, and if there's a chance it could hurt my grades.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. And yet again, Dr. Jerk proves that he deserves his nickname.

    Maybe you want to knock psychiatrists in his presence again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let him be. It's hard, but try to contain yourself. Try to learn what he has to offer. He's the teacher. He needs to be the star.

    ReplyDelete