Monday, October 16, 2006

Letting in my friends

I'm slowly telling more people whom I consider friends about my disorder and the blog I use to deal with my feelings and spread the word that recovery is possible (although setbacks can be frequent).

Recently I sent my blog to a good friend, a little afraid that she wouldn't be able to deal with my diagnosis and dark thoughts:

Dear Chaya,

Because you have become one of my very close friends, I want to share my blog with you. It is where I write about coping with my various ailments, some of which you know about and some of which you don't.

I trust your discretion, since you are an attorney, after all. If you find the material on my blog too disturbing to continue as my friend, I hope you will let me know but keep the blog a secret.

I suggest you start with the first entry. The rest of it, well, you can read chronologically or not. I hope it doesn't freak you out, because some of it is serious.

But when I write about how my friends keep me going through my difficulties, I want you to know, you're one of them. You really are.

Love, Ayelet

And she proved me wonderfully wrong:

Ayelet, I love you and nothing can change that. I will keep the blog confidential and am honored that you are sharing this with me. I admire you so much.

I feel Hashem has given you an important mission to help so many. You would probably not be surprised at how many people suffer alone.
Yasher koach for giving so many strength to know they are not alone.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. You're so lucky to have a friend like her. I have learned to keep my dark side well-hidden, because most people don't receive it so well.

    ReplyDelete