Monday, October 30, 2006

Weird Al should get a Nobel Prize

I am fed up with studying for midterms, and since the only one I have left is a take-home that I have not yet received, I'm completely unmotivated. I'm also in a lot of pain from my knees, and so the normal things I'd do to blow off some steam, like taking a walk, don't seem advisable.

So I'm hanging out on youtube a lot. It feels kind of pathetic (a friend of mine told me last week that he could spend hours on youtube, and I told him he shouldn't spread that information around too much), but it's a good distraction. Especially because you can get music videos on it, which you can't really do on MTV or VH1 anymore.

And one of the artists I'm searching for is Weird Al Yankovic.

I call him an artist because good parody is an art form, and his parodies are brilliant -- meticulous attention to detail, diabolically clever lyrics.

I've had so much fun watching Gump, Amish Paradise, Fat, Smells Like Nirvana, White & Nerdy, The Saga Begins, and so on, that I decided to write Al a letter:

I just wanted to say your videos are extremely therapeutic, and I mean that literally.

I am getting a doctorate in clinical psychology and am also a survivor of bipolar disorder and a serious suicide attempt. Thanks to great medical care and the love and support of family and friends, I'm thriving, but I still struggle with the disease every day.

I've been having a really tough time lately, between school stress (I'm in the middle of midterms) and the rest of my complicated life, including a serious knee injury. Being a single girl in New York City is far from easy even when you don't have bipolar.

I just got DSL, so I checked out your video "White & Nerdy" on youtube. Then I watched a bunch of your other videos. Before long, I was in a much better mood.

I know that when you lost your parents, much too early, you said that you had to keep performing or you'd be unable to cope. I just want you to know that your music is helping me cope as well.

Laughter is the best medicine.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the rest of them, but "White and Nerdy" is soooo funny. By the way, you might be able to get a lot of his videos through Yahoo! Music; my roommate uses it and that's how I got to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete