Thursday, November 23, 2006

What am I thankful for

It's Thanksgiving, and while I'm eager to see my nieces and nephews, I'm not looking forward to once again being the only single girl at the table full of happily marrieds. So I thought that before I subject myself to this experience, I should inoculate myself against any bad feelings by reminding myself what I have to be thankful for.

I'm thankful that the stress at school is not making me depressed.

I'm thankful that the stress at school is making me lose weight.

I'm thankful for the friends who read this blog and check in on me frequently. Their support is crucial to my well-being.

I'm thankful that the adjunct professors are writing me recommendations for my re-applications.

I'm thankful for my nieces, nephews, and friends' children, who bring laughter and love into my lonely life.

I'm thankful for my fine mind, great skin, beautiful hair, and sense of humor.

I'm thankful for my rent-stabilized apartment -- without it, there's no way I'd be able to live in Manhattan.

I'm thankful for the strength I've developed, which allows me to support others.

And I'm thankful to be alive, since there have been many time that I wanted so badly to die, to cease existing and hurting.

There might be a furious post later today, since I'm going to my sister's (biggest house = hosts most often). But maybe not. Maybe I'll just have a pleasant holiday with my family.

And I am Marie of Roumania.
Copyright (c) 2006 "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Nice to have so many things to be thankful for. A good example to those who read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to consciously remember what you're thankful for. It helps you when you're trying to remember those things when dealing with a lot of stuff that you could live quite well without.

    ReplyDelete