Saturday, March 17, 2007

Dream decoded

Leave it to Dr. Roda to find coherent meaning in miniature sharks biting my legs.

The "new family" is the staff of the domestic violence shelter where I'm interning. The "new mother" is probably my supervisor, who is a very sweet lady. And the sharks are... my clients. It's like I'm afraid they'll suck the life out of me.

Made a lot of sense. I had a meeting with one of the shelter residents, who's had a really tough life. I didn't really know what to tell her -- I felt like I was flying blind and faking it. Even though I've been through years of therapy, it's not as easy as it looks. I didn't know how to respond to some of the things she told me.

But after a while I was able to remember what a classmate of mine told me -- that the first conversation is more one-sided, and the therapist needs to listen more than talk. So I let her talk.

Also, part of my work at the shelter will be teaching by example -- encouraging them to get an education and work on developing a career. Conveniently for me, this resident wants to be a social worker, so I pretty much know what she needs to do and how she needs to do it.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment