Monday, March 05, 2007

I'm still here

I haven't felt much like posting, but I thought I should let everyone know that I'm in a slightly better frame of mind than I was when I last posted.

I still haven't been going to shul or meals on Shabbos, nor did I hear megilla on Purim. I'm a bad Jew when I'm moderately depressed. I did go to a small Purim seuda at Alona and Adir's. The highlight of the day, of course, was their daughter Batya's first poop in the potty (set in a place of honor in the middle of the living room). It is such a privilege to be that close a part of a child's life.

Today I went to a placement fair -- representatives from all the agencies that offer second-year social work student internships, sitting in a big room with lots of candy. Kind of like a trade show for internships, as if the best candy would hook in the most students. Didn't seem to be working that way -- some were even offering pens and keychains but not getting much foot traffic. (The poor guy representing the hospice, where social work interns would help terminally ill patients ease their way into the next world, was very lonely.) I felt a little guilty for taking a piece of Laffy Taffy from an agency that's based in Nassau County -- I'm not taking the LIRR to my next internship -- but I really love Laffy Taffy, so I got over it.

One opportunity sounded like so much fun -- working with pet owners at a super high-tech veterinary hospital. You approach the apprehensive owner in the waiting room, admire their feline or canine companion, and help them through the process of healing their pet or grieving a loss. Sometimes you take the healthy animals to nursing homes for pet therapy with the residents. Basically, you get to play with cats and dogs all day.

It was tempting. Pet therapy has been proven to lower blood pressure, and I'll bet it helps depression. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to cats.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment