Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Weirdest dream ever

I dreamed that I was part of a family that put sharks and eels on my legs so they could bite me.

I can't explain it very well. But I clearly remember going to a place -- an aquarium in Australia? -- with a big tank of water. They were choosing the sharks/eels to bite me. My mother (? I think she was blond, unlike my real mother) tapped on the glass to make the animal open its mouth aggressively. It moved sharply, like a lunging snake. I remember the hissing sound as the creature snapped its mouth open. Which I obviously couldn't "really" have heard, since it was underwater. It was small, about as big as my forearm, and it was all gaping jaw and sharp teeth. Lots of teeth.

Then I was lying down, and the creatures were applied to my calves and feet, and they bit me. And I lay there for a long time, wondering when they were going to take them off of me. Everyone left, and I lay there alone in the dark.

Serotonin is responsible for consciousness as well as mood, and people who take SSRI or SNRI antidepressants often notice vivid dreams. When I took Effexor, an SNRI, my mood was great, but I had anxiety dreams every night; several nights I woke up with tears on my pillow. But Cymbalta and Remeron, the SNRIs I'm now taking, haven't had consistent effects on my dreams. Just the occasional doozy, like this one.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that's quite a dream. But ultimately easy enough to interpret: At some point in the future, or the past, your family will serve you, or has served you, seafood, and it will disagree, or has disagreed with you.

    And the position you were in probably cut some circulation off to your legs, so they were tingling, and your brain incorporated that physical sensation into the dream and made your legs the focus of the seafood attack.

    It could also be allegorical.

    I hope you're smiling, Ayelet. And remember the immortal words of poet/bard Lipa Schmeltzer, who says, in his charmingly quaint Chasidic accent, "Chaloimes shov y'dabeiri--dreams speak falsely."

    ReplyDelete