Sunday, May 13, 2007

Very beautiful, without makeup

"Leh ilti biltish," said the Arabian Knight. (Or something like that. He grew up speaking Arabic at home with his parents.)

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"You look very beautiful."

The Knight caught me by surprise this morning. We had planned to get together, and I thought he was calling to say he was on his way.

"Do you have any rubbing alcohol or anything like that?" he asked.

"What for?" I asked sleepily. I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning, surfed the web for a while, then climbed back into bed, and he woke me up.

"I cut my finger on the subway," he said.

"I'll look for it. Where are you?" I asked.

"Downstairs." Oy! I scrambled into a dress, pushed my hair into a scrunchie, found a bottle of Betadine, and stumbled downstairs. No makeup. I dabbed his finger with the Betadine and went back upstairs to brush my teeth, wash my face, and put on some sunscreen. I tried to smooth my hair, gave up, and put on a headband.

And that's how I spent the day -- utterly unprimped, and complimented lavishly by the Knight.

He has other good qualities. Apparently Taureans live for making other people happy, so he tries very hard to make me smile and is delighted when I do. We got bagels, went rowing in Central Park, wandered in the Ramble, went for pizza and cupcakes, and considered taking in a movie but didn't like anything on offer at the local cinema. So I sent him back to Brooklyn (he lives in the Syrian Jewish community, which is apparently similar to Iraqi Jewish) and got a haircut. All in all, a very nice day.

I wish he had a full-time job -- he's some kind of engineer (he explained but it was boring, so I don't remember the details), but hasn't found a job in his field, so he's tutoring junior high and high school kids, and considering getting a full-time teaching job. I guess nobody's perfect. At least he's working.

I'm also really enjoying not having a physical relationship with him. (I must not be hypomanic at all anymore.) He's trying really hard to get me just to kiss him goodbye or hold his hand, and knowing that he wants to touch me makes me not need to touch him. I'm also always the one to say goodbye first, whether I'm sending him home, IMing with him, or speaking on the phone. He tries to keep me talking, but I don't let him.

He really makes me feel beautiful, even at this horrible weight.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a 'great success' weekend! I'm glad you're enjoying, and I'm impressed with your restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found someone who can make you happy and feel beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you're feeling complimented. But I also want to reiterate to WATCH OUT.

    I grew up near the Brooklyn Syrian neighborhood. Syrian/sefaradi guys can be very slick. Maybe I'm being paranoid for you, but two things are raising amber flags here: the unnanounced visit ( did you let him in?), and the cut finger situation. The unannounced visit could be a way of him taking control of seeing you. And-- again, call me paranoid-- but It's not outside the realm of possibility for him to have cut his own finger as a way of either gaining access to your apartment, or getting you to touch him (cleaning his wound), or both. Don't mean to sound alarmist, but I've heard too many stories. And this guy in particular seems to be driving really strong to the hoop.

    ReplyDelete