Sunday, June 03, 2007

Okay, so most social workers are nicer than psychologists

One of my professors from last semester, who has been incredibly supportive during the whole internship ordeal, emailed me this morning to ask how things were going. I told her about Friday's interrogation, and she responded:

Discouraging. Tell the internship office you had a good experience with me as a professor, you hear I am taking first year students next year, and you wonder if I could be approached about your coming to me for a first year placement. I’ll tell Carly to tell you I have mentioned that I am taking first year students next year. If it came from me directly to them or even from me to you to them it will be seen as manipulation. Know that our agency is not doing therapy, much of our work is done on home visits. Your work would involve supporting parents and working as a coach with kids and youth. Not the kind of talk therapy I suspect you are interested in but it will ground you in the concrete and supportive clinical interventions that make up most of clinical work.

How awesome would that be? This professor is incredibly cool; she uses hypnosis, among other interesting techniques, and I learned so much from her. I am definitely going to take her advice. I really had a bad feeling about the agency where I interviewed -- I'll tell the internship office I don't want to go to a place where I'll always be scrutinized and second-guessed. And third-guessed. And fourth-guessed. And... you get the idea.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. You have an awesome professor. I'm so glad someone's looking out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete