Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ayelet kicks a candy craving

I went out for lunch with Simcha today -- we grabbed some kosher takeout from the sandwich stand and went to a park to eat. I was tempted by the cookies and donuts on display, but limited myself to a big salad, with plenty of chickpeas to give me a nice, low-glycemic carb fix.

But I still wanted chocolate, or something else very sweet. And I happened to have candy at my desk; I'm going to a Shabbos lunch this weekend, someone's 30th birthday, and I thought bringing candy would be more appropriate than a bottle of wine. Keep him in touch with his inner child.

So in the file cabinet above my desk were a big bag of Twizzlers and two boxes of Mike & Ike (original and the new Tangy Twister, so delicious that Amazon considers them a gourmet food)... and ay! they were calling me.

It would have been so easy to rip it open and inhale half of them. But I didn't. I went to get another glass of water, my fifth or sixth of the day. And the craving passed. Of course, I came home and immediately inhaled four peaches, but that's a healthy, acceptable alternative. As my friend Maven likes to quote her Weight Watchers group leader, "Nothing tastes as good as being in control feels."
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment