Thursday, August 09, 2007

Pearls of wisdom

I love pearls. They're my birthstone, and I adore their gentle glow. No other stone is as elegant and versatile. A woman can never have enough pearls.

Hude was supposed to buy me pearl earrings set in gold to settle a bet. We all know how that turned out. I didn't want to feel deprived, so I bought myself a pair. Didn't spend a ton of money -- I got them at Overstock.com, and they're gold-filled rather than solid gold. (I'm wearing them today, for the first time, and they look fabulous.)

Later I visited Moon River Pearls, one of my most-visited, albeit not often patronized, jewelry websites. I noticed that three of my favorite designs, which I had bookmarked and yearned for again and again, were on sale for only $19.99 each -- a significant markdown. And I had a 20%-off site coupon to use.

Now, as someone who in the past has done a fair amount of hypomania-fueled shopping for stuff I did not need, I had to seriously consider whether I actually needed to get all three items. And I decided I did. Not only because they were each an incredible bargain, but also because I want my life to feel abundant, not deprived. I'm not shopping to fulfill a manic desire to possess everything I see and covet. I'm shopping so that my life doesn't feel any emptier than it has to.

I don't have a husband, but I shouldn't need one in order to feel like I have everything I need and enough of what I want. Same reason I bought myself a new gold watch. Being single is painful enough; I don't have to punish myself any further. On the contrary, I need to make myself happy, since no man has yet stepped up to assume that responsibility (at least in part).

I'm not in debt, I'm saving for retirement, and I manage my money responsibly. If I want to buy two pairs of earrings and a coordinating necklace -- all for less than $50, thank you very much -- I can, and I should.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. that's right. you go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just studied some of the halachot of the coming holiday season, I will tell you that the purchase of these items, at this dramatically discounted price, would likely even be permitted on chol hamoed, as the opportunity is too good to pass up, and would cost substantially more if you let it pass.

    Way to shop smartly.

    ReplyDelete