Thursday, August 09, 2007

War paint, aka "You Gotta Have a Gimmick"

So I'm going to be the oldest woman at this singles' weekend. I definitely won't be the thinnest, and I probably won't be the prettiest. How do I make myself stand out without appearing to beg for attention, maintaining my slightly ironic detachment and mystique?

War paint. In the war between the sexes, that means artfully applied cosmetics, flawless nail lacquer -- a scarlet mani-pedi that matches the lipstick that matches my new dress -- and my secret weapon: a henna tattoo. I can virtually guarantee I'll be the only chick there rockin' one.

I got the tat on impulse, walking toward Century 21 to buy a house gift for my host family. There was a little hole-in-the-wall eyebrow threading/henna tattoo parlor on (ironically) Maiden Lane; I walked in, asked to see a design book, was told the designs were all "up here" (indicating the forehead), and decided to trust the artist. Scant minutes later, I had a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind "bracelet." Not as elaborate as the illustration above, but still very unique and eye-catching.

It's an instant conversation starter:

Curious guy: "What the heck is that thing on your arm?"

Ayelet (nonchalantly): "Henna tattoo."

CG: "Aren't tattoos assur?"

Ayelet (looks him in the eye, then glances away flirtatiously): "It's temporary. Lasts about 3 weeks." (Casual hair-toss; resumes eye contact.) "I just like the look of it."

CG: "Cool... you are the most fascinating woman I've ever met."

Okay, maybe that's a little optimistic. But I'll definitely get their attention without saying a word. In other words: it's a gimmick, as the burlesque dancers from Gypsy would say. (Warning: that hyperlink leads to some very immodest and scantily clad lady performers.)
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. I think tattoos are very sexy, done tastefully. (I've gotten the airbrushed barbed-wire around my biceps a couple times.) A cute henna tattoo can be very sexy. I'm a guy, so I also think lower back tattoos (the Tramp Stamp), small hip and ankle tats, belly rings, anklets, and nose studs are also waaaay sexy. A (frum!) girl I dated once even said she'd do a tongue stud if she could get away with it professionally.

    I know, I know. I'm such a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're allowed to be such a guy, NJG. I love guys for that reason: they react so predictably and so primally to such small things. I love wearing anklets, I've gotten temporary ankle tats, and I think belly and nose rings are GORGEOUS. (I'm more likely to get the former rather than the latter, and I probably won't even get the former, but it's a nice fantasy.) Maybe next time I'm in a serious relationship I'll get a little "tramp stamp."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to wear a nose ring, i miss it sometimes. it looked beautiful, plus it's "beged ivri." maybe when moshiach comes i'll wear it again. as of now, it doesn't jive with my current lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete