Thursday, August 02, 2007

When Medium is too small

I strutted around the office all morning, silently humming "You Sexy Thing." Then I had a Balance bar for lunch and decided to spend the hour I saved browsing through one of my favorite deep-discount clothing stores.

Sadly, I had to face the fact that I am no longer a medium in the eyes of many clothing designers. I'm a large. And it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon. The fruit and fiber diet isn't working; all the excess weight is sticking like molasses to flypaper.

What is worse, I had to try on clothing in a communal dressing room. Oh, the slender humanity! Everywhere I looked I saw sleek thighs, trim tummies, firm flanks, and beautifully sculpted buttocks. Next to them I looked like an eggplant with elephantiasis. Even the sight of my cool fishnet stockings, with sexy seams up the back, did not console me.

I had to keep reminding myself that the crocodiles were crazy about the tutu-sporting hippos in Fantasia. That it's pretty neat to buy two skirts for less than $16. And that even though it's bigger, I still have a waist.
Copyright (c) 2007 "Ayelet Survivor"

4 comments:

  1. Which store?! I need cheap threads!

    And why weren't you snapping surreptitious photos of these trim tummies and sculpted glutes? I mean, seriously. Think about your audience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there, YST -

    i've been subjected to communal dressing rooms too - yuck.

    do you think weight watchers might be a good diet for you?

    much success in loving yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a rather depressing shopping trip myself last week. My sympathies...

    [sigh]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmen, it's a women's clothing store, so I doubt anything would be to your taste. And seriously: taking photos in a dressing room? How creepy are you right now?

    Maven: I'm considering WW. But I really hate dieting. Hate, hate, hate it. I'd almost rather learn to love myself large.

    ReplyDelete