Tuesday, October 30, 2007

For once, I don't feel like banging my head against a wall

I've been taking a research course all semester, and I haven't learned a thing. I already have a master's degree; I've been writing research papers and doing research projects for years. So when the professor asked us to write down an impromptu evaluation of the course, I didn't hold back.

This course is a waste of time and money. I haven't learned anything. I know the material already. It's an exercise in futility.

I figured, it's anonymous -- I have nothing to lose by being honest. To my surprise, the prof agreed. He sent us all an email saying (in part):

One student clearly indicated that she or he does not want to be taking a research course. Judging from the contents of this student's note I do not think this student should be taking this course. I am asking this student to contact me so that I can attempt to make other arrangements for this student.

Wow. So he and I sat down and sketched out a project for me to work on instead of the class material. And my fellow students -- who also find the class boring, redundant, and pointless but don't have my credentials to get out of it -- applauded my advocacy. I almost forgot I was fat.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could do that. I begged and pleaded with my advisor to allow me to take any kind of harder class in exchange for the research class that is required for my program and he said no. So next semester, my last semester because i have been putting it off for so long, I have to suffer through another research class exactly like the one I took in undergrad. That's a great use of my debt-money.

    ReplyDelete