Sunday, November 25, 2007

Internationally renowned author

How do I procrastinate? Let me count the ways... I'm more or less done with one paper, except for the section on financing, which is of course the most boring section to write. I've organized my sources for the other paper, which is a take-home final, so I could start it at any time. Instead I'm playing Scrabulous and blogging...

I got an email recently from someone who found the paper I published:

I recently came across your paper on (subject). We recently did a personality analysis of him in our upper level psychology class. I am wondering if this paper has been published and if so, in what journal and when? Please let me know as I have passed your paper on to my professor and she is wondering about its credibility. Excellent information provided regarding his case, though.

I wrote back:

The paper was published in (name of journal), a publication for grad student writing. Where are you in school?

She responded:

Thanks so much for your reply! I thought your paper had been published but wanted to make sure. The course I'm taking is Theories of Personality and after doing our in class 'analysis' of (subject), our professor 'concluded' that he had Asperger's based on research that had been done on him. I work with children and adolescents who have developmental disabilities and just could not believe (and still can't!) that (subject) had Asperger's. In my opinion, there's just no way he had Asperger's, and that's what sparked my research and thus, found your paper. I attend the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada and have recently been accepted into the Master's of Counseling Psychology program and will start in the new year.

Wow -- I'm internationally renowned!

I think it's highly unlikely that (subject) actually had Asperger's. I think he was a socially awkward child and adult, but I don't think Asperger's had anything to do with it. What kind of research did you do to find my paper? Congrats on getting into the master's program!

I wonder if it was a Google search. That would be so cool!
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. It actually does pop up when you Google your name, Ayelet. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete