Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Joseph and me

I found a great production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat online and watched part of it last night and part of it today (it takes forever to download). I'd forgotten how much I identify with Joseph. Early years of privilege and love, followed by decades of sibling conflict, suffering, betrayal, tremendous growth, and finally triumph.

It's really a message of hope, which right now I need desperately. I have to believe that things are going to keep going well, at least a good part of the time -- as well as they've been going at my current internship, in my classes, and with my fellow social work students.

(Let's forget about Dean Evillene, shall we? She's just a big homely fly in the ointment.)
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. Close every door to me...
    Hide all the world from me...
    Children of Israel are never alone!

    Love you, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, he did a much better job of staying chaste amid the temptations of Egypt than I've done in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why he gets to be the foundation Tzadik of the whole nation of Israel, and you and I don't. We're not expected to be like him. We're expected to recognize the ideal, even if we don't meet it. Lord knows I'm not even trying.

    Also, all due respect to him, but he was 17 when he arrived--and he spent a number of years in prison--and then he was 30 when he was released. Some of us have been surrounded by temptations for far longer.

    ReplyDelete