Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Vitamin K

That's what the psychiatrist at work calls clonazepam (trade name Klonopin), because so many clients want to take it on a daily basis to even out their moods and improve their sleep. One of my co-workers thought he meant the real vitamin K, and didn't understand why vitamin K would make people feel so good.

I'm thinking about vitamin K because I took one Sunday night and had a great night's sleep. But I'd also taken several calcium tablets and drunk a glass of milk, and I was hoping that also contributed. I took the calcium and milk but not the clonazepam Monday night and slept well -- so well I could hardly get up. So I took the same calcium dosage last night -- and woke up at 4 a.m.

I don't want to get hooked on vitamin K, but I'm really sick of this insomnia. And it coincided with my use of the light box, so I'm assuming they're related. Which is too bad, because the light box has really helped my mood in other ways.

I read an article that said light boxes are most effective against bipolar depression when used between 12 - 2 p.m. Which could explain why I'm having sleep disruptions. But I'm not eager to shlep the light box into work so I can use it during my lunch break. Moreover, other articles have instructed users to stare into the light in the morning. What's a seasonally affected girl to do?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. I'd try using the light box between 12 and 2 over the weekend and see if it really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can purchase full spectrum light bulbs. They will fit into an ordinary lamp. They are from $3 to $5 each. Bulbrite is one brand. It would be easy to install a couple of these at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anonymous -- good to know!

    ReplyDelete