Monday, February 18, 2008

Too much to handle?

Nice-looking guy writes to me online. A little older than I prefer, but not ridiculously so. I look at his profile and get nervous:

I'm someone who swims in many different seas...I have family who are among the G'dolei haDor, yet my daughters are "half-Jewish". My oldest daughter lives with me, and they will always be welcome in my home. I am yearning for someone to make a Bayis Ne'eman b'Yisro'el with me.

I'm comfortable in Passaic, Lakewood, and Brooklyn, I'm comfortable with my immediate family who're not 100% Observant, and I'm comfortable out in the secular world as an Orthodox Jew. I've published articles in national magazines about being Jewish, and I've published articles on XML. I try to find Torah in all aspects of life.

I'm very kind and caring, and I've been told that I have very pretty eyes...I would love to have Jewish children as well, but I understand that that is not always an option.

He sounds like a decent guy, but a custodial parent? That can be dicey. I write back:

You do have nice eyes, but your situation sounds very complicated. How many children do you have, and how old are they, and which live with you?

He responds:

Thanks. Yes, my situation is complicated, for sure. I have two girls, 8 and 18; the 18yo lives with me. She's very respectful of Yiddishkeit and is Shomer Kashrus in the house. There's no Xmas in my house. My younger one has real shaykhus to Yiddishkeit, she asked me for a Bas Mitzvah, even after I explained what it entails.

I do have to say that it's nice to come home on Shabbos evening from Shul, and have someone say "Gut Shabbos Dad".

At the end of the day, I find that where there's a will, there's a way.

I don't know what to do. I honestly don't. At least he's not a grandfather. But an 18-year-old stepdaughter? That's half my age!!! How do I deal with that?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment