Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Ding-dong, the witch is dead!

Well, not dead, but Dean Evillene is leaving the school. I saw Jerry today. He congratulated me on my handling of the situation -- finding a compromise that gave DOTS a graceful exit option. Then he said, "I'm totally going to make your day" and sprang the news on me. I was speechless for a good 45 seconds, which, for me, is long.

Of course it has nothing to do with my relentless self-advocacy -- Evillene's been advising a hedge fund that supports a children's agency, and now she's going to be the agency director.

"Good move," I told Jerry. "You need to be a bitch to deal with those hedge fundies."

I'm still a little annoyed DOTS failed to acknowledge that the "frustrating process" the school put me through was a) completely avoidable and b) their fault, but of course such an admission would leave the school liable. Negotiating with her was difficult -- forced me to act contrary to my nature. Good practice. You have to ask, "Do I want to be right, or do I want to be effective?" If I'd insisted on not having to make up any hours at all, I'd be stuck doing five extra weeks of work for no pay. Instead, I'm doing something I wanted to do anyway. Win-win.

I'm so tempted to send Dean Evillene a congratulatory email, addressing her by her first name.... No -- best leave blame well enough alone. (Something else contrary to my nature that I need more practice doing.)
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment