Sunday, May 11, 2008

Giving thanks

Recently I decided to thank the clinical social worker, Maureen, who worked with me while I was an outpatient. As I said in my post on the atrocious Dr. Incompetent,

I felt more comfortable [than I ever did with Dr. Incompetent] during my first private session with a clinical social worker on the psych ward. She wasn't even Jewish, but she really understood me and we got along well.

All I remembered was her first name, so I emailed the psychiatric program where I'd been an inpatient and outpatient and got her last name. She's no longer there, but a Google search found her. Seems she got married and became an interior decorator, using her social work skills to manage difficult clients. (Apparently social work degrees are broadly applicable.)

Dear Maureen,

I don't know if you remember me, but I was a client of yours at XXX Hospital in the spring/summer of 20XX. I had been living in NYC but came to XXX for treatment because my parents live near there. You were my individual therapist and discharge planner, and helped me find a partial program in NYC so I could return there to complete my recovery.

It seems you've done a lot since then! Your website is beautiful, and I'm sure you need just as much patience in your new profession as you did when you were a clinical social worker. Perhaps more.

In an interesting twist, I have become a clinical social worker. I also have a master's in psychology.
So if you're the same Maureen O'Connor, I just wanted to say thank you and let you know that my life after hospitalization has been a good one.

A big part of the credit goes to you. You were honestly one of the best therapists I've ever had -- genuine, an excellent listener, and able to see through complications to the heart of the matter. You were not just a good therapist, you were a good role model for me as I embark upon a career in this field.


Sincerely, Ayelet Survivor, M.A., M.S.W.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. i hope that's a fake name?! or does it not really matter?

    ReplyDelete