Monday, May 05, 2008

Let down again

Ikey Abadi allegedly ate some bad salmon and called to cancel. We'll have to wait until Thursday to find out if he still thinks I'm pretty.

(He wasn't too sick to update his Facebook status update, though:

quote du jour... He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed. B. Franklin.

I'm not sure what to make of that, other that it kind of proves he's Syrian.)

We did speak on the phone at length last night, which was nice. His enthusiasm for me seems unbridled. I asked him what he's been up to these past years, and it turns out -- quite a bit. He's traveled to 35 countries (and had his picture taken, shirtless, in every one of them). Also, he went through a career change. When I met him he was a business analyst. Now he's a personal trainer.

I was rather surprised to hear that, too. (Certainly explains the different look and the 111 shirtless photos posted on his profile.) This made me even more anxious that he'd find me unattractive at my current ungainly weight. He claims he won't, but how can he know until he sees me?

In other ways I'm reassured, though. I said to him, half jokingly, "You talk as though you're just waiting for me to fall in love with you so we can get married."

"I am!" he said. He's a cards-on-the-table kind of guy, very open and direct. His biological clock is ticking even louder than mine: "Even if you conceived tomorrow night, Ayelet, I'd still be in my fifties by the time he's bar mitzvah."

No mind games -- or so he says. I'm still wondering how bad that salmon was. I'm a fairly accomplished liar, but that hasn't made me a better lie detector, unfortunately.

SB continues to send me text messages, emails, and pokes. Today he wrote something especially sweet:

I don't want to bother you while you are busy writing papers but i wanted to say hello
i was thinking of you and looking forward to getting together again

Also refreshingly direct and ungamesian. I wrote back:

It's no bother; I'm taking a break tonight. Just got home.
I'm also thinking of you and looking forward to getting together again :)

Stay tuned, loyal readers...
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment