Tuesday, May 13, 2008

So hard to play by The Rules

I'm trying to date SB mindfully and strategically. We went out on Sunday. On Monday I posted a couple of links on his Facebook wall to websites displaying the work of Georgia O'Keefe and Alfred Stieglitz, neither of whom were familiar to him, despite his love of floral photography. (He studied film and video production at Brooklyn College. Apparently they don't set much store by the American classics in that department.) I also Introduced him to a Friend of mine who likes discussing the stock market, in the hopes that SB will stop trying to discuss it with me.

All of this, according to "The Rules," is much more than I should have done. One of their first rules is "Don't call him and rarely return his calls." (It was published in 1995, the year the Internet exploded, but I assume the same goes for emails and text messages.) But I'd told SB I'd make the introduction, which he had asked me to do, and that I'd show him some of Stieglitz and O'Keefe's work, which he was interested in seeing. I keep my promises.

He didn't call last night. Fine, whatever, I was out to dinner, I was busy. I didn't hear from him today until I turned on my cell phone just now and discovered a text message from five hours ago:

How long must a guy wait for a phone call from a girl after an encounter
Looking forward to seeing you again

Okay, very disingenuous, but it's an indication of interest.

I called him back, because I hate text messages -- I hate not being able to type with all 10 fingers and being charged for doing something so uncomfortable -- and got his voicemail. Left a message saying that the phone works both ways and if he called me, I'd probably answer. I also posted a recipe for kouba in tomato-okra broth that I found on, of all places, YouTube.



I told him that if he played his cards right, I'd make it for him.

I got another text message:

In a meeting
But I'm thinking of you Ayelet

FINE.

SB I hate texting so if I am going to the trouble then I must be thinkin of u 2
call me after ur meetin I have a surprise 4 u

Stay tuned, loyal readers....
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment