Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Forgot to mention

You know how some workplaces make you wait between one to four months before they start your benefits? The last place I interviewed made you wait three full months -- so if you started in mid-June, say, you wouldn't have health insurance until October.

Well, my agency starts health insurance and other benefits the same day you start work.

The same day. I was destined to have this job.

I acupunctured two Facebook Friends tonight. Interestingly, both felt something -- a rush of blood, a flush of heat -- in their left ears, but not their right ears. I'm going to ask the trainer about that tomorrow -- if that's random or typical.

I was careful to tell them that the needle hurts going in and then stops hurting. If it keeps hurting, it's in the wrong spot. I know this all too well because I let a new student practice on me and every single needle hit a nerve. I bore the pain while the trainer pointed out -- in excruciating detail -- where she went wrong with each point, and then meekly asked to have the needles taken out. My ears hurt for about 45 minutes, and also bled; they usually don't.

I put up with the discomfort because one of the trainers was annoyed with me. I've taken on something of a leadership role in the clinic -- making sure each student gets to practice and scanning the room to make sure the clients are comfortable. When I told Jens and the other students that my new job will entail me supervising counselors who don't have master's degrees, Jens' face immediately took on an expression that clearly meant, "Oh, you're going to be good at that, and you're going to like it." I said as much to him, and he agreed, laughing. I laughed too. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Somehow the trainer picked up on my bossiness -- one of the students in my class is ambidextrous, and I told him he could try needling me with his left hand. The trainer got miffed, because apparently I was supposed to let the new student butcher me. She told the ambidextrous acupuncturist to practice on her, not me, and said, in a voice dripping with politeness, "Ayelet, I don't understand why you don't want a treatment."

"Oh, no, it's fine," I said. It won't do to piss her off. Jens, who is very intuitive, thinks she's very insecure and was posturing to secure her position as alpha acupuncturist -- or beta acupuncturist, I guess, since she's not the main trainer. (Thank goodness.)

So I let the student needle me -- and I guess it was my karma to receive the worst treatment ever. And of course I'll have to let her practice on me again, because I don't want her to think she can't learn this technique. If I can, anybody can. But I'm going to ask the alpha acupuncturist if I can ask this student to take out the needles when they hurt after the initial stick.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. Once again, you're performing feats of kindness and consideration that beggar comprehension. You sat in pain while a newbie stickler treated your beautiful ears like pincushions, and bled and suffered for 45 minutes, but grinned and bore it so as not to embarrass or disturb anybody?

    There's something noble and powerful there.

    We should make sure Artscroll includes it in your inspirational biography :)

    Oh, and happy birthday. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't a full 45 minutes, b"H -- it was more like 5 or 6. It FELT a lot longer.

    You can write the introduction when I publish this blog as a book ;)

    And thanks for reminding me, a day early, that I'm a year older ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my defense, it was only an hour and 26 minutes early :)

    ReplyDelete