Friday, June 06, 2008

They miss me

Got an email from the social worker with whom I started the substance abuse treatment group at my internship:

Congratulations on your new job! That is great news.

I also wanted to let you know that we had our first group of the second series of the Breakfast Club and many of the members present (we had 5 show up first day, 3 old, 2 new), mentioned how much they missed you and appreciated all of your hard work and support both in and outside of the group. I couldn’t agree with them more. I wish you the best of luck with your new job and just know that the Breakfast Club continues to live on, and would not have been possible without you.

"The Breakfast Club" was my idea. Not just the group, but also the name. I thought it would be nice to have a name for the group that didn't explicitly reference substance abuse treatment. I didn't think the clients would recognize the allusion, but the other workers did and loved it.

One of the clients upgraded the name to "The Morning Dawn Breakfast Club." I love working with people who have schizophrenia. It's a terrible disease, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but the way they think and express themselves is fascinating. That's the one drawback of my new job, not working with anyone with a "severe and persistent mental illness." Rather a draconian term, but frequently used in reference to people who spend a lot of time in hospitals, homeless shelters, and, increasingly, prisons.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment