Saturday, July 19, 2008

The gorgeous genius

About four years ago I went out with a gorgeous guy nine years my junior who was phenomenally brilliant and incredibly sweet. He won every discussion/argument we had without ever getting ruffled, which was very annoying. He was a physics major at an Ivy League school, a tremendous gemara kop who hadn't yet decided what he wanted to do with his life. He was also a few notches above me in terms of hashkafa.

I thought I needed someone more stable and more at my religious level, so I dumped him and started dating G. I. Josh. We all know how well that went. I saw the Gorgeous Genius (GG) online every once in a while -- he'd visit my Frumster profile every so often -- and I'd wonder how he was.

Last week GG emailed me asking if I could write some press releases for his company, since I used to be in PR. I wrote back apologizing for not having the time to do that, having started a new and exciting career. For some reason, I decided to search for him on Facebook, and when I found him, I Friended him.

When I met him, GG lived in New Jersey with his parents. But according to his Facebook profile, he was living on the Upper West Side. That, coupled with his casual allusion to his "company," made me think maybe he was a little more settled these days. So I sent him a little email:

didn't know you were in my neighborhood... we should hang out sometime

He responded:

Yup, for a while now...there are a lot of things happening in my company now so I'm pretty busy, but maybe. I'm not quite the same person I was a few years ago, just so you know...

That's suggestive. I wrote back:

sounds VERY intriguing... why don't you buy me a drink and tell me all about it?

I'm not a very patient person, so when I hadn't heard from him in a few days, I thought he might be too busy to check Facebook. I sent another message to his regular email:

don't know how often you check Facebook... ... but I was VERY intrigued to hear that you're not quite the same person you were when I first knew you. Why don't you buy me a cup of coffee and tell me all about it?

He finally responded on Friday:

Sorry, I was on a business trip and haven't caught up with my correspondence...

So first you want to meet for a drink, and now coffee? I fear the next epistle will involve milk and cookies...

I'm not busy Saturday night if you want to catch up, though I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted to have piqued your interest in such a way...

He's flirting with me! Okay, how to undo the damage...

Please don't be insulted. You've always held my interest. There aren't many people who always win an argument with me.

I'm also free Saturday night. If you prefer, we can go for a drink. Although my favorite snack is milk and graham crackers.

Which is true.

I'll defer judgment...

Say drinks@9:30 tomorrow night? You can pick the place, though I'm not familiar with any that have a milk and graham cracker special, I suppose you could BYOMAGC.

This is fun! But 9:30? Shabbat's not over till 9:15.

9:30 is cutting it a little close after motzei shabbat -- it's going to be a very hot day Shabbos, and I think I'll want to take a shower before I see you. (Are you still shomer shabbat, or is that part of the big change in you?) How does 10:00 sound? I don't know of any milk and graham cracker places, so let's go to a bar. There are dozens in the neighborhood -- when you pick me up we can stroll down the nearest avenue and choose one.

If he's no longer shomer shabbat, then I'll have a drink with him, but it won't go any further.

Don't recall mentioning a big change...though of course my perspective is a little suspect.

I'll pick you up then, but I don't know where you live.

I sent him my address, adding:

I can't wait to hear all about the moderate change in you. See you at 10 tomorrow night.

And he wrote back:

Okay, see you then.

--GG "The very model of a moderately changed individual"

Brilliant, gorgeous, gainfully employed, and funny. I hope he still thinks I'm pretty. Stay tuned.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment