Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wrecked

It's nice when your clients show they appreciate you, even when they can't do it directly. I have one client who's extremely guarded and hard to read. I see him in individual sessions and two groups I facilitate. I asked him if he wanted a counselor switch, since seeing anyone for therapy three times a week is a little much (unless you're an analyst, which I am not). He looked shocked and said, "Why would I want to do that?!" This week, he made a point of asking me how I was doing and participating actively in every group. I wasn't fishing for his appreciation, but it still felt nice.

I especially appreciate the appreciation when I'm feeling incompetent, and that's lately. I'm still nerve-jangled and anxious. At various points today, for no reason at all, I felt like crying. It was difficult to listen to and focus on my clients (and those of the counselors who are out, whom I was covering). Thank goodness I see the acupuncturist tomorrow.

One trick I'm trying to remember is, when I don't know what to say in response to something a client says, just reflect it back. That usually keeps them talking and draws out more information. Reflect, summarize, repeat.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment