Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"It's official, Ayelet: You're a slut."

That was Shimona's verdict, after I told her I'd gone out or hooked up with about 15 guys at the bangitout Tu b'Av party. Including RD-SOB, whom I actually met four years ago at the same party, and whom I assiduously ignored despite his efforts to meet my eyes. At one point I was standing within 10 feet of about five of them. It was a little discouraging.

I originally went to the party with Aviva, who is very shy, helping her work the crowd. I skipped dinner and had a beer, so I was in a good mood. I decided to teach her how to avoid, blow off, or cut off people she doesn't want to talk to -- a skill I call, "Say 'Good Shabbos' and keep walking." I use it at synagogue a lot -- when I see someone who wants to talk to me whom I don't care for, I smile, say "Good Shabbos," look away, and don't stop to talk to them. We did that with several people. She's starting to catch on.

Inevitably at these parties, I'm approached by the weirdest and most unattractive men. Fortunately, I'm good at rebuffing them. But the guys I'd like to chat up never seem interested. I don't know why that is.

After Aviva left the party I was hanging out with Shimona, who went off to talk to someone "for just a minute" and left me stranded with one of the 15. Not the nicest one, either. He and I dated briefly, then I broke up with him. So he told his roommate what a slut I was and how I couldn't get enough of him. Which I found out when I dated his roommate a couple years later.

I guess the party wasn't a complete failure because I got out, I got a few compliments on how pretty I looked, and I spent time with a number of friends. But it certainly wasn't a success -- I didn't give my phone number to anyone.

Most outrageous line of the evening: "I thought there would be more hotties here." Spoken by a would-be player in a wife-beater tank top. No need to wonder why he's sleeping alone these days.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment