Thursday, August 07, 2008

Serene

I told Spike that last week's acupuncture made me feel slightly hypomanic and uninterested in working. He listened thoughtfully, then said, "Maybe... or maybe it's summer, you're young, it's sunny out, and you feel like playing, not working."

That's possible. Today I felt mellow and serene after acupuncture, and it was a little easier to focus on work. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm really a therapist. I feel like I'm faking it, at least part of the time. But sometimes I know exactly what to say or how to reframe what a client is expressing. I guess that will be true for a while. Also, when in doubt, reflect. It keeps the client talking, gets you more information, and buys you time to figure out a therapeutic response.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment