Saturday, August 23, 2008

So NOT into me

Shuli and I went back to the minyan where I met Chatich a few weeks ago.

"Let me hold the baby during kiddush, okay?" I asked her during musaf. "Chatich is here again and I need a conversation starter."

"Fine," she said. Baruch started nodding off.

"Can I hold him now?" I pleaded. "He's falling asleep and you won't be able to give him to me!"

"FINE," she said, and handed him over. He promptly fell asleep against my neck. Services ended, and I walked over to Chatich, who was disassembling and putting away the mechitza.

"Hi," I said coyly to Chatich.

"Oh, hey," he said. "Remind me of your name?"

"Ayelet. So... are you still having trouble sleeping?" I asked Chatich as he folded curtains.

"What? I never have trouble sleeping," he said. "I say the shma at night, and that keeps away the demons."

So much for my "I'll cure your insomnia through acupuncture" flirt idea.

"Good to know," I said. "How's everything else going?"

"Great," he said. "You?"

"I'm fine," I said. "Just passed my licensing exam."

"Congratulations. You work in substance abuse, right?" said Chatich. I concurred.

"It's an interesting population," I said.

"I would think they need a lot of gentleness," he said. "They've probably experienced a lot of stress and confrontation, most of them. So it's good you're working with them. You've clearly done a lot of work on yourself to be able to do that."

Wow. That's a lot he read into me, just because Baruch trusts me enough to fall asleep in my arms. I'd like to think Chatich's right.

And yet... I didn't get an interested vibe off him. Even after we knocked back a little Scotch at kiddush. I guess I'm not his type.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment