Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I guess she's more important than I realized

Got an email from my social work school:

DOTS appointed to Obama’s Transition Team

We are pleased to inform you that DOTS was invited to serve on the Presidential Transition Team with a focus on assisting the new Administration with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. She will be dividing her time through at least January 20, 2009, between her Transition Team activities in Washington, D.C. and her ongoing work as Dean of the School. She looks forward to returning full-time following the historical inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama.

Wow. And she knows me. At graduation, when I trooped across the stage for a grip-and-grin photo, she said, "Congratulations, Ayelet -- you deserve it!" Now I'm a little more impressed.

My cousin went to the University of Chicago Law School and Obama was one of his professors. So in two ways, I'm just one degree away from the most powerful man in the world. Not that it will make one bit of difference to my life, of course.

I sent her a congratulatory email:

Dear DOTS, I'm so glad President-Elect Obama is employing social workers in his transition team! Best of luck navigating D.C. politics and our country's tremendous needs. I am sure you will focus on the tremendous health and mental health concerns of our returning veterans, who have been so horribly traumatized and so shamefully underserved by the Bush Administration. Best regards, Ayelet
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment