Thursday, November 20, 2008

Safe, so far

"Tell me when it hurts," said the sonogram tech.

"Okay," I said. "Ow. Ow. OW!"

"The question is why," she muttered darkly. She kept probing, I kept ow-ing.

"So it hurts everywhere," she said banefully.

"I was hit by a car," I pleaded.

"We will see what my doctor says," she grumbled. I guess that means I'm basically okay. There were some spots that didn't hurt, like over my liver, which I guess is good -- since my blood work showed some liver impairment. Nice to know it's not totally destroyed.

Earlier today I called Clarice, my supervisor. Twice. Once in the morning to tell her I wouldn't be able to come in today, and then when I found out I was having a sonogram. She didn't call back and I started to freak out.

Am I going to lose my job -- the only job I've really loved (not counting my internships) in more than 10 years? I got home after picking up the police report and getting the sadistic sonogram, and Clarice called. And was so nice.

"Ayelet, don't worry," she said. "You have to take care of yourself."
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment