Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veterans Day

I was as tired as a WWI vet marching solo in a parade.

First I went for acupuncture in Brooklyn. Way out in Brooklyn. And Spike decided, since I didn't have to rush back to work, that he'd throw in some qigong massage on top of the needling.

Qigong massage is very beneficial and very painful, during and at least 2 days after. "This is going to hurt," he'd say, and pinch the back of my knee or stick his finger into a spot right over my kidneys. (Which apparently have depleted chi, and I should exercise and sleep to build it up. Sleeping's fine, no problem, but can't I just have some steak and kidney pie?)

I then spent an hour and a half riding jolting trains, the frickin' bus, and climbing up and down station staircases to visit Jerusha, the kids, and my mother. Waiting at the bus stop were a young teenage couple making out with slurpy, smacky kisses. I wanted to kill both of them. To prevent this from happening, I chewed 2 Vitamin K (you're supposed to swallow them whole but they're more potent if you chew them) and 2 Percocet (ditto, and do they ever taste nasty.)

The visit was fine, Jerusha was perfectly pleasant and civil, and the kids, of course, were thrilled to see me.

"I heard you got hit by a car, Aunt Ayelet," Oedipus said solemnly.

"I was," I said.

"I have something for you," he said. He left the room and came back to ceremoniously hand me... a ballpoint pen. It was adorable.

Jerusha was wearing a new necklace and earrings set -- diamond chips set in white gold.

"Nice necklace," I said. "Is it new?"

"Yes," she said.

"Who bought it for you?" asked Shira.

"I bought it for myself," said Jerusha. "As a... treat."

I guess now she knows what it's like to have to buy your own jewelry.

Malka painted my toenails dark purple and my fingernails light purple with sparkles. Then I was back off to Manhattan, in a car service courtesy of Mom, who's visiting Jerusha for a few weeks. My classmate Clive is going back to England, and was having dinner with Jerry and Carly. I joined them for dessert. All in all, a long and very tiring day for a girl with a back injury.

I woke up draggily, blearily watched the light box, and got to work 20 minutes late, delaying treatment for two clients. That pissed off one of them, but not the one with the violent history, so I wasn't too concerned. I was certain my clients would notice my unusual manicure, but if they did, they didn't say anything. (My co-workers were not as considerate.)

Sometimes clients show in little ways that they like you. I was rescheduling one client whose work hours have changed, and he said, "How about Thursday night?"

"I can't," I said. "I have group that night."

"Why can't I be in your group?" he demanded. "Why do I have to be in what's-her-name's group?"

I happen to love what's-her-name, whom the rest of us call "Elaine." She's my best friend at work. But we have very different clinical styles, and I was kind of pleased that he prefers mine.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you've made some semblance of peace with your sister. If nothing else, you can see the kids now.

    ReplyDelete