Wednesday, November 05, 2008

What would I do without Gloria Chang?

If I had joined Facebook just to reconnect with Gloria Chang, dayenu.

Ayelet, I love you very much and want to help. What can I do?

I can't keep pretending I don't need anything. When people offer help, I'm going to accept.

Thank you. I don't know. I just feel so alone and helpless. Please pray for me. A friend of mine helped me find a lawyer who will make the big bad bill go away. Right now I don't need cookies, which I know are your specialty, as I need to lose about 30 pounds. With a back injury on top of a twin knee injury, I'm not sure how that will happen.

Maybe a long, fun, trashy, easy-to-read book. I like reading before I go to bed, and I'm not up for the great classics. But I could handle something trashy and readable.

(Gloria speaks about five languages and has read the great classics in most of them. I'm just not that ambitious, nor that multilingual, right now.)

Prayers ascending! Now for book recommendations. I like to reread childhood favorites for light reading. The Great Brain? Little House? All-of-a-Kind Family?

Alexandra Stoddard's books are good when I want to completely empty my head. Are you familiar with these? Or you might like one of the Jane Austen sequels---Mr. Darcy's Daughters, for example. Joseph Wechsberg wrote a number of lighthearted books about his life in prewar Vienna. Nu---what sounds good to you?

She even sounds Jewish. I chose "Mr. Darcy's Daughters" since I liked "Pride and Prejudice."

I know it's crass to ask for presents, but I think that's what I need. They don't have to be pricey. Just something that says, "I got you this because you are important to me and I want you to be happy." So if any of my other friends ask what they can do, I'm not going to be shy. Overstock.com has a bunch of earrings for less than $20. I also love mystery books, especially Agatha Christie and Margaret Frazier. (Just bought myself a few tonight. Clarice asked what I was doing for self-care and after the horrible day I had, I couldn't say "nothing.")

So if you want me to feel better, send me a present.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. A nice escapist novel is on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete