Monday, December 22, 2008

Not a big fan of text messages

That was the subject line of the email I finally sent Jeff after getting this text message:

Lost it? That's terrible. Hag Sameach. Preparing to freeze my kishkas off tonight... outdoor menorah lighting.

Apparently when I responded, I reinforced behavior -- sending me text messages instead of emails or (gasp!) calling me -- that I don't like. This text message tells me nothing of value. I already knew he was observing Chanukah. It doesn't say whether he wants another date or he's just being polite, and I'm darned if I'm going to waste more time or money doing something I don't like -- fake-typing on stupid phone buttons -- for so little gain. So I emailed him:

Hey Jeff -- I appreciate you being in communication with me, but I'm not a big fan of text messages. I don't mind receiving them, but I hate replying because I don't have a full keyboard and it takes forever to use the phone buttons. I just spent half an hour re-entering a ton of phone numbers into the new phone, and I'm not inclined to fiddle with the thing any more than I have to. (I think that's the worst thing about losing your phone -- building your contacts back up.) So please don't feel offended or ignored if I don't respond to every text with another text. Stay warm tonight.

We're both being really polite and not revealing any emotion or opinions. I'm starting to feel more like I'm playing chess than dating. And I don't like playing chess.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. I also don't see the point in texting when I don't have a keyboard phone.

    Regarding the dating thing. If you don't mind my opinion, you are pushing. At least that's what it seems like from your postings. You will find someone! I know that you will! There is someone for everyone. I really believe that and I am just as alone as you are. You seem like a really intelligent and thoughtful person, don't give up and relax it will come sooner than you think. Please don't take this as rebuke. It is only meant to be positive and I am not the writer that you are.

    ReplyDelete