Friday, December 19, 2008

Plans with KCG

As promised, Kaballah Computer Guy called last night. I wasn't home yet, so he left a message. I had already decided not to go out with him Saturday night, since I really need to revise that paper for publication. And I'm going to a friend's Chanukah party Sunday evening. So I called back to suggest we meet Sunday morning. It was noisy in the background, so I suggested he call me later.

When KCG called back, he said, "Sorry about the noise -- I was at the Rebbe's ohel." The grave of the late Lubavitcher Rebbe. People go there to pray. It's fairly common in Judaism to pray at the gravesite of a great person, to ask them to intercede for you in Heaven. There are several such sites in Israel, such as the place where Rachel (Jacob's wife) is buried. I'm not sure how many there are in the U.S.

"Oh, how interesting," I said, thinking, "Oh, kinda not my thing." I'm not Lubavitch. I have respect for Lubavitch, I have friends who are Lubavitch, but it's not my thing.

"We should go!" he suggested. On a first date? That would certainly be... unique. I was thinking coffee. Which I told him.

"There's a Starbucks near where I live," I said.

"Oh, you want to meet in Manhattan?" he asked.

Uh, yeah? I'm the girl -- you're supposed to do most of the traveling and see me home because you're the guy! At least on the first date! Remember, he's the one who asked if I have a car because he got rid of his when he moved to Brooklyn. I'm not shlepping out of my way for hours on a first date, sorry. That's not chivalrous.

I know some people think I reject people too quickly, but a lazy Lubavitch kaballist is just not what I am looking for. Then again, in his profile he says he's looking for someone "slim and attractive." Maybe he'll make this easy for me and find me unattractively chubby.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you may want to avoid this guy. I've had some close contact with chabadniks over the last few months, and some of them are alarmingly strange.

    ReplyDelete