Saturday, January 03, 2009

My new job: Baby handkerchief

"Gesundheit!" I said, and wiped a wad of baby snot off my velvet-clad shoulder. I stopped by Shuli & Co. this morning, where Baruch needed to be put down for a nap. Usually I'm very good at doing that. Unfortunately, since he has a cold, he wasn't in the mood to sleep. Amazing how even when he's sick he's such a good baby, though. He smiled when I came in and kept looking at me even though his father was trying to feed him. I love that baby.

Then I went to shul and met up with my latest Facebook friend, Zoya. She's a gorgeous, sweet person whose life is possibly worse than mine. She was married to a crazy, abusive Persian guy for 11 years and had 2 kids. In November, her house burned down and she's been living in a hotel. Seriously. I know I have a serious mental illness and was hit by a car, but after listening to her, I don't feel so sorry for myself. Which is good, because self-pity never got anyone anywhere.

Zoya took me along to a lunch where we were the youngest in the room -- a nice change of pace. I actually knew the hostess, Leah, whom I hadn't seen in years. She's a very sweet, ethereal person who also has a very difficult life and a remarkably positive attitude.

Leah was making the meal in honor of her mother's yahrzeit. Apparently her mother was good at appreciating every person's unique talents and abilities and making them feel special. So Leah asked us all to introduce ourselves and say what we do to make the world a better place.

I thought about talking about work, but they pay me to do that. So I said, "I'm an aunt by blood and honor to many children, and I try to help their parents as much as I can -- whatever they need. Rock a baby to sleep, give a bottle, read a book, play dolls, take someone to the potty.... When I visit my siblings or friends, they're often tired because their kids are up half the night. I'm like fresh horses -- I get all my sleep. So I'm able to help out a little. It takes a village and an aunt to raise a child. Even though I don't have kids of my own, Aunt Ayelet is an important person to these children, and I take a lot of pride in that."

I'm really not in the mood to write about dating stuff right now. There's a lot going on, none of it really good, and I'm feeling depressed about it. So it's good for me to spend time with kids who need and love me, and with people whose positive attitude is in direct contradiction to the depressing reality of their lives.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment: