Monday, February 23, 2009

Do I finally have the life I want?

Last night I went to two parties. I had only planned on attending one -- a fundraiser for an Israeli charity. I wasn't familiar with the charity, but the poster advertising the event had cupcakes on it, so I went for the cupcakes.

When I got there, I felt a little uncomfortable. I don't really like huge parties. I'm actually kind of shy. But I saw some friends and went to hang out with them.

Aviva smiled when I sat down. "I love your red shirt, Ayelet!" she said.

"Red clothing makes men perceive women as more attractive," I said. "I'm just following the science. How are the cupcakes?"

We shmoozed across the room to sample the dessert buffet, and I ran into one of my new Brooklyn friends, Mushka.

"Hey -- Amnon's going to introduce us to eligible guys!" Mushka said, pointing to the tall, cute guy next to her.

"Who's going to introduce me to Amnon?" I asked. She performed the honors, and we all started chatting.

"Want to come to an Oscar party after this party?" asked Amnon. Interesting. Why's he asking me? He just met me. Wait... maybe he likes me. The red shirt must be working. I should flirt.

"Sure," I said, smiling coyly up at him. "Will there be frosting? I really like frosting. That's why I'm here tonight."

"Not to support the soup kitchens that feed needy Israeli children?" Amnon teased.

"Collateral benefit," I said.

"I'll try to find out if there's frosting," Amnon said.

"Nah, I'll just load up here," I said. "I haven't watched the Oscars in ages."

A mutual acquaintance, female, walked up and started chatting with Amnon. I saw someone else I knew, a very cute dentist who provided free toothbrushes to the SawyouatSinai Labor Day weekend participants. Mine was extra soft, and I loved it -- very gentle on my crumbling gums. So I went up and asked him where I could get another.

"Let me see if I have any," Dr. Cute said, and went off for a moment, returning with... a regular soft toothbrush. Damn. But I thanked him and put it in the front pocket of my little clutch purse.

Amnon walked up to say hi to Dr. Cute. "You're giving out free toothbrushes?" he asked. "Are they for everyone or just the beautiful women? I bet they have your phone number on them!"

"I can get you one, too," said Dr. Cute seriously. I guess he's impervious to red, or color blind. He walked off, and the drift of the party swayed me away from Amnon again. I figured that was a good thing -- I should play hard to get, but not too hard to get, since playing strictly by The Rules has gotten me nowhere.

Apparently it worked. One of the cakes on the dessert buffet was covered with frosting roses. Amnon came back to me with a plate on which he'd planted two of them. Very cute.

"How are they?" he asked.

"Not bad," I said judiciously. They were a little greasy. Frosting is a delicate balance of shortening and sugar. Too little sugar, and it's too oily.

"It's hard to get frosting just right," said Amnon seriously. "If there's too much shortening and not enough sugar..."

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" I said. Wow. Two minds with but a single thought? About frosting?

I cornered Mushka for the lowdown on Amnon. Divorced with 3 kids.

"In June he'll be divorced a year," she said. Eesh. I don't have a good track record with recently divorced guys. At all. But that doesn't mean I can't go to an Oscars party with him. Or friend him on Facebook. Or go out with him if he asks me out. I'll just have to lay my cards on the table and tell him if he's not ready to get married again and to have at least one more child, we can't be anything but friends.

The Oscars party was hilarious. I met a fabulous Persian woman, Tahira, who stated that the "Slumdog Millionaire"-inspired belly dancers didn't know what they were doing.

"Dance for us!" said Amnon. Apparently they're good friends but not dating.

"No, no..." she demurred. "Not by myself."

"Show me how, and I'll dance with you," I said. She took me into the hostess's bedroom and began to demonstrate. I copied her as best I could.

"You're not bad!" she said. "Are you Sephardic?"

"Polish-German," I said. "Pretty fly for a white girl." She and I made plans to get together soon and practice more. Another new Facebook friend who'll also be a friend IRL. As will the lovely hostess. And Amnon.

Too, too late the Oscars ended and Amnon drove a bunch of us home. I reflected on my busy, happy day. Have I finally created the life I want, with work I love and a great bunch of friends? Not my ideal -- no husband, no kids -- but still rich and satisfying?
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. ...la la la....waiting, just around the bend...la la la

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun evening - just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Carmen. Live in the moment!

    ReplyDelete