Friday, February 13, 2009

I must have made a REALLY good impression

The Kallah emailed me after I spent Shabbat with her and her family and friends:

I had two people ask me this week if you can marry a Cohen. Also they wanted to know if you are FOL and would consider a "modern" guy ie someone straddling Lubavitch and modern orthodoxy; a guy who maybe learns Tanya but is a professional and has a TV...

I didn't have an answer for either question... pray tell my love! Also the big kids were here this shabbos and said a BIG thank you for the "apples to apples" game you got them.

Am I FOL? I might be, but I don't know what it stands for.

I must have made a great impression! ;) Sadly, I am unable to marry a Cohen. What is "FOL"? I guess I would consider a Modern Lubavitch guy who's a professional and has a TV. It would depend on his personality, I think.

So glad the big kids liked Apples to Apples! :) Also very glad Elah's mother made it through surgery. I think I am going to take all the credit, because as you know, saying the last 5 tehillim is like saying the entire book ;)

The Kallah had put together a group of people to say the entire book of Tehillim on the morning of Elah's mother's surgery. I chose the last 5 because I already know them. I didn't really want to do it -- I don't believe my prayers are heard or heeded -- but I couldn't say no. Apparently sometimes my prayers actually are answered.

FOL = Friend Of Lubavitch. It means, well, someone who is not out and out a hater of lubavitch. B"H we got all the tehillim said! And yes, your five count!!!

Mine counted the most, but I don't like to brag. Am I FOL? I don't know. I'm not really into chassidus. I don't think the late Menachem Mendel Schneerson was Moshiach. I don't want to keep cholov yisroel. And I'm not sure if I want to cover all my hair all the time. But... at my age, why close off potential matches?

Well, I'm definitely NOT a hater, but I couldn't say for sure that I'm 100% comfortable with all the minhagim and chumrot.

She didn't respond, but sent me another email:

I have known Avi Fox since before I became frum... and also he and my ex became frum together at the same chabad house in your home town. And I used to have the *biggest* crush on him as well. I have to agree with you he is one of the most handsome men I have ever met. Artistic, smart, nice, etc. Let me tell you there were quite a few broken hearts when he went and married a girl from Manhattan! Nevertheless, we all love Mrs. Fox and consider her one of our own! They really are beshert for one another. :D

We look forward to having you as a guest AGAIN after Pesach! TK

Who knows? Maybe I'll go for Shabbos and stay for a Saturday night date. Anything is possible... Imagine, fantastic Mr. Fox was around the corner from me, and I never even knew it. Story of my life.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Friend of Lubavitch may also mean a willingness to ignore or even condone some of the flat-out lunacy and drunkenness that goes on there.

    Many Lubavitchers I know are 'normal,' and many are obsessed-in an unhealthy way-with the rebbe and the previous rebbes and their writings. It's as if there is no other Torah. And they definitely hold themselves apart from 'normative' Judaism.

    So I'd say, you're an FOL and also an FON. Fan of Normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reference to You've Got Mail?

    ReplyDelete