Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blah

I thought, if I got up early and did a good deed, the rest of my day would be equally productive. So at 9 a.m. I reported for duty as an early childhood intervener. A couple in my community have a one-year-old daughter with Down's Syndrome, and they ask for volunteers to engage in early intervention enriching play with her.

Enriching play basically involves a lot of repetition. "See the dolly? You like the dolly? Where's the dolly's hair? Show me the dolly's hair! You like her shoes! She has nice shoes! Where's the dolly's hair?" After she gets tired of the dolly, which is roughly 4.3 minutes after you are really sick of the dolly, you move on to flash cards, baby books, puppets, etc. I love babies, but I've never been so glad I work with adults. Being with a baby has never been so exhausting, mentally.

I had also planned to get a haircut and a manicure. But first I'd need to shower, because I wanted to get my hair blown out and I don't want to get it wet after that. And somehow I can't seem to get myself motivated. Maybe because it's raining.

I just feel so blah. Not really depressed, but at the same time, I feel like I need to be reading or talking on the phone or watching TV on the computer. I need distraction from my thoughts -- I think that's why I don't want to get in the shower. Because I don't have any waterproof books.

I'm not even sure what the thoughts are that I need to be distracted from. That's how intently I'm avoiding them. And I'm even more tapped out mentally from my morning enrichment activities. I'll probably forgo the haircut and manicure -- even though I'm going to a singles event tomorrow evening and I need to look my best.

I think I'll just sleep in curlers. Because I will take a shower before the day is over.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

No comments:

Post a Comment