Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How was the event, Ayelet?

I got an email from the grateful event organizer:

Thank you so much for coming last night and doing a demonstration. The event was very successful and I heard a lot of positive feedback about the class. I hope that you will be willing to do it again in the future.

I'm glad he heard positive feedback, because the evening was very stressful for me. Not because I'm afraid of public speaking. At least, I never have been before. After last night, I might spontaneously develop that phobia. Why? Here's my response:

To be honest, I would only be willing to do this again if the event were much better organized. I don't understand why there were no signs on the doors indicating what activity would take place within. It was very demoralizing to have numerous people peek in, ask what the activity was, and then leave.

It was also extremely distracting to have people coming in and out to get drinks and shmooze while I was trying to talk -- to say nothing of the chazzarim who HAD to hit the dessert buffet before 8:30, also very distracting. I absolutely refuse to present again in a room with refreshments.

Finally, I felt that I was misrepresented in the publicity materials. Maybe I didn't make my self-description clear enough, but I'm not a fully licensed acupuncturist. I'm a certified detox acupuncturist and a substance abuse therapist with two master's degrees (I should have given you my full signature so you could have put that on the publicity materials). The protocol I'm trained in does promote better sleep and mood, but I had a ton of people asking me about their backs, knees, etc., and several of them left when they learned that wasn't what the talk was about.

Sorry to be so negative, but it was a very stressful experience for me. And while I'm happy to share whatever knowlege I have, I'm not comfortable explaining over and over about whatever knowledge I lack. Nor am I willing to try to talk over other people who are too inconsiderate, unmannerly, or greedy to limit their own conversation and consumption in a room where someone is trying to talk.

I think that was reasonably polite. The only good thing about the event was that I felt justified in saving the money I'd have spent on a manicure and a blowout, because the demographic of the event was old and older. Not a candidate in the bunch.

But -- I think it was good for me to go through with this commitment when I didn't feel like it. The group I covered went okay -- I had to remind a bunch of them to put away their cell phones, but they're generally the most resistent clients, so I kind of expected that. And forcing myself to do things I don't want to is good practice, because this morning Dr. R and I agreed that after Pesach, I'm going to exercise 10 minutes every day, either walking or dancing. Starting with an achievable goal, and we'll see where it takes me.

Dr. R is actually in the process of applying for the insurance I have. It might take a while, but it might be possible to back-bill -- or at least I'll get reimbursement after coverage starts. I'm also going to see him a little less frequently. After Pesach, I'll see if that means I should start psychotherapy again.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. That is such great news about Dr Roda!
    I hope you are not thinking of seeing him less for financial reasons. It's easy for me to say but be careful about cutting back when you aren't feeling well. But sounds like you won't make a change w/o carefully assessing your mood, so that is good.
    RE exercise: one suggestion is get off the subway a stop or two earlier on the way home. Especially in the Summer that shouldn't be too tough to do.

    ReplyDelete