Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How is this my fault?

At 8:30 this morning I was scheduled to put in two hours of enriching play with the baby who has Down's Syndrome. I got to her apartment at about 8:35. The door was opened by a guy I'd never met, who said that her parents (and she) weren't there. He didn't seem to know when they were expected back, if ever. I figured some emergency had come up and went home.

Then I got an email from the frustrated mother:

I heard from the guy staying at us that u came and did not wait. I am so sorry if there was a miscommunication. I left early to go to a dr appoint. My husband took the baby to drop our other kids at school. Usually he is home 8.20 but today there was traffic so he got back 8.40.

I probably shouldn't have felt offended, but I was. I "came and did not wait"? How about I "came and you weren't there"?

But I tried to respond diplomatically.

I'm sorry, too. The person who answered the door didn't seem to know when you were expected back, so I thought something must have happened. I'm glad to learn it was just traffic.

I suppose no good deed goes unpunished.

I should have baked a couple quiches today, but I wasn't in the mood. (Ditto my 10 minutes of exercise.) I was up at 3 a.m. again with terminal insomnia. It's very annoying that the remedy for better sleep is actually worsening it. However, I'm in better spirits and relapse prevention group didn't totally kick my ass yesterday, so I guess I'll continue the melatonin.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried chamoile tea with Valerian extract in it? And maybe a glass of wine and/or a puff of some kind herb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried valerian; maybe I should. Alcohol generally only exacerbates terminal insomnia. As for "kind herbs," well, I'm working as a drug counselor, so right now I have to just say no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your observation is totally correct. Keep in mind that email tends to come out terse and unfriendly, and much different than if you were in person discussing what happened. You did nothing wrong, they did. She should not apologize for a "miscommunication" but for their lack of communicating, leaving a note, presenting you with the potentially uncomfortable situation (and possibly asur?)of being alone with a strange man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think of that, MWeiman, but it would have been yichud with a stranger. I knew there was a reason I felt like I had to get out of there ;)

    ReplyDelete