Sunday, June 14, 2009

How I screwed up. Again.

I have to say, Dr. R was right. I went to my birthday party, and even though most of the people I invited didn't come, those who did amounted to a respectable crowd -- and I had fun, which was the main idea. Besides, in a Manhattan Dunkin' Donuts seating is extremely limited, so had all 100+ people I invited actually showed, it would have been a fire hazard.

But I want to show you how I scared off yingerman. He's way too young and far away to be a realistic prospect, so I guess he was good to learn on.

Ayelet: hey
yingerman: hey
yingerman: how r u
Ayelet: not bad, u?
yingerman: ok ... lots to do but I still went shopping!

I'll spare you the details of what he bought, but that boy sure can shop.

Ayelet: so... I have to tell u something
yingerman: ?
yingerman: yes
Ayelet: I thought u were ignoring my IMs on Facebook so I unfriended u
yingerman: ohh really !?!
Ayelet: yes
yingerman: no i wasnt
yingerman: that is sad
Ayelet: ok
yingerman: :(
Ayelet: I apologize
yingerman: ok
Ayelet: this long distance thing is very hard
yingerman: hmm yes ok
Ayelet: it would be nice to meet, but I'm not sure how that's going to happen

Silence.

Ayelet: hello?

More silence.

Ayelet: well, have a good Shabbos, and take care

So much for yingerman. I tried to friend him again; he hasn't responded. I know he wasn't a realistic prospect, but there I go from the flattering pursuit by a much-younger man to repelling him with my neurosis.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

4 comments:

  1. I don't see how this is a screw up. He was too far. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't know. To me, u did nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hanss1. You did not screw up! This guy was never a realistic prospect. Don't waste your time thinking another minute about it.

    Speaking as someone who attended your party it was a very respectable crowd. 3 pm on a summer Sunday, let alone the day of the PR parade, is always hard. But you had a nice group of friends and some good gifts!

    Remember your resolution to try and see the good in your life?

    Glad your birthday party was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good time.

    Next time try to avoid the overwhelming temptation to unfriend in guy-panic. I've so done this, and it's usually been undeserved. Can't blame them for running.

    Happy happy and many happy returns.

    --S

    ReplyDelete
  4. To "screw up" something that wasn't meant to be in the first place is actually setting it right. So you did good.

    ReplyDelete