Thursday, July 09, 2009

The glass is 3/4 full

I had a very full and busy day at work today. I was tired. I wanted to get home and relax -- especially since I woke up at 2 a.m. this morning and couldn't fall back asleep, so I've been operating at a sleep deficit.

When I got to the subway station, I could see the train sitting at the platform. I ran to board it before it left, weaving around the stupid people obstructing the stairway. Leaping through the doorway, I tripped and fell sprawling, half in and half out of the car. Knees bashed; elbows scraped; dignity in tatters. But I got up and took a bow, because my sense of humor was intact.

I'm going to have all kinds of interesting bruises tomorrow, but that's okay. We're off from work due to construction in the office building; I had hoped to go to a museum with Alona and her mother-in-law. Instead, I'll be icing my knees. And that's okay. Because right now, my life is good.

I'm supported, recognized, praised, and valued at work. My co-workers respect me. My clients like me. (Most of them. One of my anger management group participants said I was mean for expecting him to come to group on time. You can kind of see why he's in the group.)

Yesterday, after swing dancing, I came home and realized I had been a real therapist all day. Listening, reflecting, reframing, making people feel better. Seven years ago, I had no idea what to do with my life. Now I know who I am.

Not to mention the fact that there are at least three 20somethings in the tri-state area I could totally nail if I wanted to. (Of course there are innumerable 50somethings I could nail as well, but for some reason that's not quite as flattering.)

I don't know if I'm ever going to get married, or when, or to whom. Right now, I'm choosing not to focus on that. Right now, I'm happy. Right now, the glass is 3/4 full.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. This is the best blog I've read. I don't need to say why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Go you!

    --S

    ReplyDelete