Saturday, July 25, 2009

Too much of a birthday present

"I want to get you a birthday present," said ET, right before he left on his three-week tour of London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Italy (Rome, Florence, Pisa, and a few places I can't remember).

"Okay," I said, wondering what he had in mind.

"I was thinking a nice piece of jewelry," he continued.

Jewelry?

I love jewelry; don't get me wrong. But I've believed for a long time that I don't need a man to buy it for me. Sometimes my aunt gets me nice pieces -- she gave me a gorgeous ruby ring after I got my MSW. Usually I buy it for myself. But a male friend who doesn't want to date me, giving me jewelry?

"We can go to a store together to pick it out," he said. "I want to spend about $150."

That is a lot more than I usually spend on a piece of jewelry. And going together to the store to pick it out... felt too much like something I should be doing with a boyfriend, rather than an allegedly platonic friend 10 years my junior.

I didn't tell ET his suggestion made me feel weird. Instead, I focused on the fact that he's going to Italy, land of beautiful craftsmanship in every material. "You can get me a gold ankle bracelet," I said. "I don't have any."

"How will I know what you like?" he asked, rather reasonably. "I don't think I'm the kind of guy who knows what's nice."

"I'll send you some links," I told him. "Are you going to the Tower of London while you're there?"

"Sure," he said.

"Can you get me a souvenir?" I asked. I have a fairly pronounced morbid streak; I've watched a dozen or more film and TV portrayals of Anne Boleyn going to her execution. We looked up the Tower of London bookstore website, and I found two lavishly illustrated books on torture. "Either one would be great," I said.

"So a book and the ankle bracelet," he said. "I'll see what I can do."

I sent him a bunch of links showing gold anklets I thought were pretty. Yesterday ET sent me an email:

I saw your comment on one of the Facebook pictures, but because the internet cafe is so expensive, I won't be commenting until I get back. I was able to get both Tower of London books- unsure if I can find the other item you wanted, but hopefully. :-)

Oh boy. No idea which Facebook picture he means -- actually, probably one from RSX's second-degree black belt demonstration, on which I commented:

ET was wondering if you guys would be good in a real fight. He kept saying, "I'm a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do -- I could kick his ass!" Referring to you. I told him that Tae Kwon Do is Korean for "sissy kicking game."

There is no way ET could kick RSX's ass, of course. ET barely outweighs me. RSX commented:

well the original masters of Tae Kwon Do from Korea were deadly and no ET has no chance against me, although if he is wishing to see the devastating results let him dare enter my realm of fighting

I assume words will be exchanged when ET is back from Europe. (Being the stickler for detail that ET is, he will probably want to clarify that I actually didn't say anything to him about Tae Kwon Do, which is true; I thought up the witticism after ET embarked and decided to use it to flirt a little with RSX.)

But in the meantime, ET's already bought me more than he said he would. I should tell him to stop, right? Because we're not dating. Right? (Did I mention that I'm the only person he's shopping for in Europe?)

Shavua tov! The books are fine, you don't have to get me anything else :)

It hurt a little to send that, largely because I don't have a gold ankle bracelet. I have one that's gold with pearls, but not one that's just gold. After the Nine Days I should probably buy myself one.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Humm.. I have a very nice gold ankle bracelet that's a bit redundant at the moment. I was just thinking what to do with it. Want it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- that's very generous! Sure, I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete