Saturday, August 29, 2009

A very Ayelet moment

I got a call from one of the organizers of the Alaska trip, Sasha.

"I heard about what happened to you, Ayelet," she said, "and I'm so sorry."

"Oh, it's not so bad," I lied. "Being thrown over publicly for a younger woman... I'm sure it happens all the time. I was embarrassed, but I'll get over it."

Sasha cleared her throat. "I didn't know about that part," she said delicately. "I meant your flight home..."

"Oh, that," I said, blushing furiously. "Oh, yeah, well, that was just my own stupidity. I should have been more careful when I booked it. But what the heck, it's only money. If I wanted lots of money, I wouldn't have become a social worker!" Sasha had the grace to laugh and pretend I hadn't just said all that about being thrown over for a younger, blonder, fatter woman.

The second-to-last day of the cruise, as we pulled away from Alaska and headed toward British Columbia, I went to the hot tub with some of my non-backstabbing cruise buddies. Of course the Charming Cad and YBFW were there, in one of the tubs. And of course I slipped on the deck and crashed down hard on my knee. One of the same knees I fell on in the subway.

The non-backstabbing cruise buddies were immediately helpful. "Ayelet! Are you okay? Let me get you some ice! You have to ice that right away!" So I sat on the deck next to the tub CC and YBFW weren't in, icing my knee and chatting with my friends.

Eventually CC came over to me and peered down at my knee. "Can I see it?" he asked. He's not a doctor, but whatever. I lifted the ice wrapped in a napkin.

"I heard you yell but I didn't see you fall," he said. Of course you didn't. You stayed in the tub with YBFW, you slime-weasel.

"It's already starting to bruise," he noted.

I looked up at him and smiled. "I bruise easily," I said evenly. "And I heal fast." I put the ice back on my knee and ignored him.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

3 comments:

  1. He's so not worth the tiniest bit of your attention or energy.

    --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the trip didn't go as well as planned. Hope Alaska was beautiful though.

    Hey can you do all of us woman kind a favor? Stop criticizing and judging yourself based on your weight or size and please stop referring to other women as thinner or fatter as though it is a competition or a judgement regarding her or your worthiness. It is bad for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting point, TO. But this was a competition, to some extent. Although I have to say I didn't try very hard. When I noticed CC was paying a lot of romantic attention to YBFW, I stepped back. I figured, if he's really interested in me, he'll make the effort; I'm not going to fight for him. Since he didn't make the effort, he obviously wasn't worth fighting for.

    I have a question for you, though. Another commenter has diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder, based on my blog. Do you think that's valid?

    ReplyDelete