Friday, October 09, 2009

Balancing act

My dinner date with JV got postponed from Tuesday to Wednesday, then canceled when JV got sick. But he came over kinda late last night, feeling better, just to hang out a little. So when SOS called, per my request to discuss things, I had to take the phone into the bathroom.

SOS was in a chatty mood, so I listened to him talk about some improvements he's making to his kitchen and the new project he's tackling at work. I talked to him about the changes at my job and how I'm handling them.

Then I said, "I need to tell you something.

"A little while back, I ran into an old college boyfriend on Facebook. Hadn't seen him in years. After we broke up, he got married, had a couple of kids, and got divorced. We've been spending some time together. I thought it was just going to be a friendship... but it seems there's something more there. I don't know where it's going to go, because there are a lot of issues, but I wanted to be upfront with you before you got here."

There was a pause.

"It would be pretentious of me to assume you wouldn't meet anyone else while waiting for me to visit," SOS finally said. "And I appreciate your honesty."

"I still think we should have a cup of coffee," I said. "I like you; you seem like a fun person and a nice guy. But I thought you deserved to know about the other guy. I'm not into games."

"Does this mean I don't have to pay for your coffee?" SOS joked. I told him about HealthNut; SOS was appalled.

"Someone needs to talk to guys like that," SOS said after he stopped laughing. "A rav, a rebbetsin, a normal person..."

"Not me," I said. "I fix broken men all day. I'm not doing it in my free time."

JV, if you're reading this -- it might be time for you to stop reading this.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck and kudos on your honesty.

    --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it all got resolved! Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-judgmental Ned10/09/2009 3:21 PM

    You are foolish and naive if you think telling JV not to read your blog will make sure he doesn't read it. What's that all about?

    By the way, you are not following the Torah's rules for dating. Not that I'm judging, but you can't have it both ways. You can't get mad at God for anything that happens to you in the realm of dating. In previous blogs you tend to lump together bad things that happen to you and then resent God. If you break your arm on the way to synagogue you can resent God. If you get your heart broken, get insulted, don't get married when you want to, etc. you can't be mad at God when you're violating all His rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Non-judgmental Ned," you call me "foolish and naive" and accuse me of violating the Torah's rules of dating and everything else.

    I think your moniker is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, I'm not perfect, but nobody is, and I don't feel my sins warrant the misfortunes and crap I've had to deal with. Obviously you do, and you're entitled to your opinion. But you're definitely not entitled to consider yourself "non-judgmental."

    ReplyDelete