Friday, November 13, 2009

Still dizzy

I had a very disgusting conversation with an exterminator today. He said, among other things, that sealing off my apartment won't do me much good unless the building gets rid of the rat infestation. Which they don't seem to be doing. I also found out that rats climbed the outside of the building and chewed holes through my screens to get into my apartment. I still have the holes.

It's making me feel sick and dizzy. Or the essential oil fumes are. This morning I had trouble focusing on a client as he talked about what's been going on in his life. I feel kind of stoned, which is not a good frame of mind to be in when you're trying to be a drug counselor. Maybe the foam sealant they used in my radiator is emitting some kind of fumes. I'm not sure what the deal is.

So I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can't afford to pay $600 more in rent each month. And I don't know what's making me so spacey and foggy -- which has me a little worried about permanent brain damage.

Today in art therapy (yes, apparently Ayelet is now an art therapist; I run a group every week) I put out Elmer's Glue and feathers and pipe cleaners so the clients could make Thanksgiving turkeys. I thought we'd talk about what we're thankful for -- such as sobriety, for example.

Instead: "You got any rubber cement?" asked one.

"Try that white stuff!" suggested another. The first client put her nose to the orange spout and inhaled deeply. "Nope," she shrugged. "Nothin'. How come you don't have rubber cement?"

"That would not be therapeutic," I said. "And might cost me my license." It led to a nice conversation about the first time each of them tried huffing (i.e., glue sniffing).
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the various rodent remedies being employed in your apartment are making you an involuntary "huffer." I think you had better find another place to stay, at least temporarily.

    ReplyDelete