Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Supplemented

There is a health food store near work where I get soy yogurt-rice milk-agave nectar-fruit smoothies. They taste a lot better than they sound.

You can spice up your health smoothie with a number of add-ins. If you were at TCBY, add-ins would be something like crushed Heath bars or Oreo cookies. At the health food store, add-ins range from protein powder to wheatgrass extract. I've been adding in camu-camu, a fruit derivative with tons of antioxidants that supposedly aids with many ailments -- including anxiety, depression, and joint pain. Since I suffer from all three, I throw it in when I order a smoothie.

The store stocks tons of supplements. So today I asked if they had anything to lower cholesterol. I know, I know, I could lose 30 pounds and lower my cholesterol dramatically. But I figured taking a supplement would be easier.

The store manager recommended red yeast rice. I'd actually read about it online, when I Googled "supplements to lower cholesterol." Unlike garlic, green tea, and guggulipid, there actually seems to be some evidence that red yeast rice lowers cholesterol. So I bought a bottle. I'm supposed to take one per day and lower my cholesterol one point per day. Pretty sweet, if it actually works.

Tonight, my medication regimen consisted of:
  • 45 mg Remeron (antidepressant)
  • 60 mg Cymbalta (antidepressant)
  • 900 mg Lithobid (mood stabilizer)
  • 1 capsule of red yeast rice (to lower cholesterol)
  • 2 capsules of cranberry extract (UTIs are the unfortunate side effect of romance)
  • 1 melatonin pill (sleep aid)
  • 1 capsule of valerian (sleep aid)
  • 1 chromium picolinate tablet (supposed to aid with weight loss)
  • 1 vitamin B12 tablet
  • 1 vitamin K tablet
I can't remember why I started taking B12 and K -- I think someone on Facebook recommended them to me because I was feeling run down. I'm feeling less run down lately, which could be the vitamins, the romance, or the relief that comes from settling into a new work environment. The valerian is new; I'm trying it for the first time tonight. Hopefully I'll sleep more soundly.

A few years ago, I listed my nightly medication and supplement regimen. Slightly different from my current regimen. The prescriptions are the same, though, which I find heartening. I spent so many years hopping from medication to medication -- it's nice to have a little stability.
Copyright (c) "Ayelet Survivor"

5 comments:

  1. Not so well. But I only took one valerian. Tonight I'll take two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assume u are being careful w/dosing--Valerian is a cousin of valium. But I'm sure you knew that. In any case, sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not know that. I won't exceed the recommended dose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if you know this, but you can also go up to 10mg on melatonin. And make sure your doc knows about all the suppliments.

    ReplyDelete